Just the essential
KYRGYZSTAN: Analysts say it could be a long time before Chinese investors are confident about doing business in Kyrgyzstan, where political uncertainty has made it one of the least attractive partners in its Belt and Road Initiative (a parliamentary election on October 4 triggered mass protests and the occupation of the parliament building amid allegations of vote rigging). Among the Chinese targets, protesters tried to occupy a Chinese-owned oil refinery.
SOURCE: SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
- PAKISTAN: Pakistani militants opposing Belt and Road attacked a convoy escorting staffers of the Oil and Gas Development Co. Ltd. (OGDCL), who had been carrying out a seismic survey to discover gas in Gwadar block. 14 security men were killed. Baloch Raji Ajoi Sangar, an alliance of militant ethnic Baloch separatist groups, claimed responsibility for the attack.
SOURCE: ASIA NIKKEI
BANGLADESH: China wants to align its strategies with Bangladesh and jointly promote the ambitious Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). Bangladesh had asked for Chinese funds for nine new projects worth US$ 6.4 billion, including for a new port and a bridge. China has emerged as Bangladesh’s largest development partner in recent years and has pumped in funds for several infrastructure projects, a growth in ties that would be closely monitored by India.
SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES
- SRI LANKA: Sri Lanka is willing to make every effort to promote China’s Belt and Road projects in the country, such as the comprehensive development of Colombo Port City and Hambantota Port. Publicly refuted the claim that China had set up a debt trap to control the country.
SOURCE: COLOMBO PAGE SRI LANKA
- LAOS: China and Laos are ready to strengthen cooperation with on jointly building the Belt and Road, Chinese Foreign Minister said when meeting with his Lao counterpart.
- THAILAND: China plan to integrate Thailand’s Eastern Economic Corridor, which runs from Bangkok south to the coastal town of Rayong, with the BRI. China also pressed for progress for the construction of the China-Thailand high-speed railway running from Bangkok to the northeastern city of Nakhon Ratchasima, plagued by delays.
SOURCE: THE DIPLOMAT
ALGERIA: China is willing to work together with Algeria to bolster the alignment of the Chinese Belt & Road Initiative. China expressed its readiness to promote full cooperation with Algeria to lift the bilateral comprehensive Strategic Partnership to a higher level.
SOURCE: BELT AND ROAD NEWS
- GLOBAL: As US aid program agency Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) has developed its partnership with many underdeveloped countries where China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) programs have been established. Some have speculated is increasingly a part of Washington’s countermeasures against the BRI.
SOURCE: GLOBAL TIMES