CONFLICTS IN AFRICA:
- NIGERIA: Jihadists linked to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), an offshoot of Boko Haram, have taken hundreds of hostages in a town in northeast Nigeria.
SOURCE: FRANCE 24
- NIGER: A group of six Frenchmen and two locals were massacred by a terrorist group in Koure, where Niger has a giraffe reserve. The identities of the perpetrators are still under speculation. Terrorist groups such as Boko Haram operate in the area.
- NIGERIA: Boko Haram is extending its reach from north-east Nigeria into the country’s north-west. It is taking advantage of old and new local conflicts and insecurities to further embed itself in the area through violent extremism.
SOURCE: ALL AFRICA https://allafrica.com/stories/202008040001.html
- NIGERIA: Suspected Boko Haram militants captured five Nigerians who worked for international aid groups and the government in a bid for ransom money, and then executed them on camera. Regular attacks haven’t slowed down — militants killed 81 people on a single afternoon last month.
- In 2019 there were almost 8,500 terrorist attacks, killing more than 20,300 people -5,460 perpetrators- according to the University of Maryland’s National Consortium. Afghanistan experienced 21 percent of all, and 41 percent of all people killed. Despite their peace talks with the United States, the Taliban was responsible for more terrorist attacks than any other group by a wide margin. Afghanistan endured the biggest chunk of assailants at 21 percent, followed by Yemen at 9 percent, Iraq at eight percent, India at 7 percent, Nigeria at 6 percent, and the Philippines at 5 percent. Pakistan and Somalia both stood at 4 percent, followed by Syria, Congo and Colombia at 3 percent and Nepal and Burkina Faso at 2 percent.
Aside from the Taliban, several of the perpetrator groups that increased terrorist violence in 2019 included Houthi extremists in Yemen (55 percent increase in attack), Boko Haram (43 percent increase); and the Communist Party of Nepal – Maoist – Chand (148 percent increase).
SOURCE: FOX NEWS JULY 10 https://www.foxnews.com/world/taliban-terrorist-attacks-peace-talks-2019