Just the essential
December 2, 2020
- CHINA: China rejected U.S. accusations it is weakening its enforcement of U.N. sanctions against North Korea. China is North Korea’s most important ally but agreed to U.N. sanctions after North Korea conducted nuclear and missile tests.
SOURCE: CP 24
- RUSSIA: The Russian military announced the deployment of its S-300V4 advanced air-defense missiles to the Kurile Islands claimed by Japan. Japan has lodged a protest after Russia’s move.
SOURCE: NEW EUROPE
- THAILAND: Thailand’s government is facing a sustained protest campaign that has brought thousands of people out on the streets to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and his cabinet, constitutional changes drafted by representatives, and reform of the monarchy under the constitution.
SOURCE: ASIA NIKEI
- RUSSIA: Russian Rosneft consolidates position in largest Arctic oil project. It´s expected to buy the Payakha field licenses in the Taymyr Peninsula from Neftegazholding, thus securing its full control over the Vostok Oil project.
SOURCE: THE BARENTS OBSERVER
- AFGHANISTAN: Afghan government and Taliban representatives said they had reached a preliminary deal considered a major breakthrough because it will allow negotiators to move on to more substantive issues, including talks on a ceasefire.
- INDIA: India, world’s third biggest oil importer and consumer, looks to resume supplies from Iran and Venezuela, after U.S. President-elect Joe Biden takes office.
- INDIA: US Exxon Mobil is in talks to buy a stake in producing oil and gas fields in India.
SOURCE: FINANCIAL EXPRESS
- IRAN: The Iranian president has called on the international community to confront the Israeli regime’s atrocities against Palestinians, and expressed regret over Israel’s expansionist policy by constructing more and more Jewish settlements on the West Bank and East al-Quds, and the cruel blockade of the Gaza Strip.
SOURCE: IFP NEWS
- IRAQ: Islamic State increases attacks in Iraq’s Sunni areas. It has conducted several attacks in recent weeks on the Sunni-majority provinces of Anbar and Salahuddin.
SOURCE: AL MONITOR
- ETHIOPIA: Ethiopia and the United Nations reached an agreement to channel desperately needed humanitarian aid to a northern region where a month of war has killed, wounded and uprooted large numbers of people.
- NIGERIA: The Boko Haram jihadist group claimed responsibility for a brutal massacre of farm workers in northeast Nigeria over the weekend as the death toll rose to 76.
SOURCE: THE DEFENSE POST
- VENEZUELA: Venezuela resumes direct oil shipments to China despite U.S. embargoes.
MORE GEOPOLITICAL NEWS:
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.