- US slap sanctions on Russian companies and Chinese entities, due to the alleged violation of US non-proliferation legislation in respect of Iran, North Korea and Syria.
- Russia’s defense ministry claimed that one of its warships had caught a U.S. Navy destroyer operating in Russia’s Pacific territorial waters.
- Russian Gazprom Neft lays out plans for Arctic block with huge oil and gas potential.
- Russia and Belarus discussed prospects of interaction in the fuel and energy sector.
- The Indonesian Navy announced they will move the headquarters of its combat squad to Natuna islands, located on a crucial passage for commercial shipping, bordering waters believed to have rich reserves of undiscovered oil and gas.
- Taiwan and the US are moving ahead with a plan to finance infrastructure and energy projects in Asia to counter China’s global BRI
- China visited South Korea to push forward linking of the Belt and Road Initiative.
- China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi flew to Japan for talks amid regional tensions.
- Netanyahu visited Saudi Arabia to meet with Bin Salman, showing Riyadh has entered the normalization game.
- A senior Iranian expert specialized in nuclear technology was assassinated in a terrorist attack in Tehran. Israel is suspected of the assassination.
- The Iraqi Minister of Foreign Affairs warned that Daesh has intensified its activities in Iraq in recent months.
- BP announced it will invest more money in Middle Eastern oil and natural-gas fields.
- Russian Gazprom Neft said the Middle East remains in the zone of strategic interests of the company.
- Houthis fired a missile at the oil distribution plant of Saudi Aramco in Jeddah.
- Greece has rejected new calls by Turkey to start exploratory talks to settle their maritime differences regarding the eastern Mediterranean.
- MEPs have adopted an amendment calling on the European Council to impose sanctions on Turkey, after they unanimously voted to condemn its recent behavior in Cyprus and the surrounding territorial waters.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused the United States and several European countries of “gross interference” in the domestic affairs of Belarus.
- The EU warned fighting between Ethiopia’s military and regional forces from the northern Tigray region is seriously destabilizing the East African and Horn region.
- China ratified its cooperation with Venezuela although the United States threatened to sanction countries that do business with the South American country.
MORE WEEKLY GEOPOLITICAL SUMMARY:
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.